Tuesday, December 24, 2013

25 Days of Christ - Day 24

The 25 Days of Christ is my project this Christmas to collect different thoughts of Christ from different Christians that come from different perspectives. The goal of my project is to unify us in celebrating and praising our Savior Jesus Christ this holiday season. I hope that throughout December we can let all within us praise His holy name!!



Photo by Mark Mabry (http://www.reflectionsofchrist.org/index.php)
Copyright © 2012 Reflections of Christ. All rights reserved.



I remember when my parents dropped me off at the Naval Academy on July 2, 2008. I was excited, but I was also nervous, scared, and intimidated. It was hot, humid, stuffy, and I was surrounded by yelling; thinking back, it still sounds like the cadre were shouting in a foreign language.  They shaved my head, took away all of my personal belongings, put me in a uniform, taught me to salute, and told me that I wasn’t special. The next seven weeks were some of the most difficult of my life. My transition from a seventeen year-old civilian to an officer candidate in the United States Navy was not an easy one, and the strain was not just mental and physical. By the end of plebe summer, I felt spiritually dead. I didn’t have time to read my scriptures, I neglected my prayers, and I was way too busy trying to not get in trouble to even think about doing service for others.
Once the academic year started, things got a little better, but I was still more distant than I had ever been from my Savior. I tried to keep my relationship with Him, but it was so difficult to do in that environment. My shipmates were obsessed with drinking, the stories they told were disgusting, the language they used was abhorrent, and their sense of morality was nowhere near even a semblance of the law of chastity. On top of that, I was beginning to believe the concept that they pounded into me on I-Day: I was not special.
I didn’t feel special. Not at all. I was just another human trying to make it through the hoops of life and not trip too often. I felt alone. I felt unneeded. Sometimes when my friends were all out on liberty, drinking and carrying on, I would stay in the hall by myself, occupy my mind with some mindless video game or movie, and then go to bed early, crying myself to sleep. At first I blamed my unhappiness on my pitiful situation, that it was Academy life that was bringing me down, that the stress of inspections, professional development, formations, academics, workouts, etc. were too much. It was life’s fault, not mine.
But, with the help of a good home teacher, I realized the truth. I felt unhappy because I had distanced myself from Christ. I felt unneeded because He was not the focus of my life. I didn’t feel special because I hadn’t spent enough time with Him to realize how much He loved me. Before then, I knew that the Savior’s Atonement helped us repent of sins and transgressions because I had experience with repentance. But at USNA I began to understand how the Atonement covers all pain, such as my emotional struggles, sadness, and self-doubt. I had been living a pretty clean life up till that moment, but I still felt out of balance spiritually, and it was because I had not yet offered my pain to Him. I hadn’t let Him heal me. And I hadn’t let myself feel of His love because I was prideful and thought I could handle the difficulties of my situation on my own. Once I realized how silly I was being, I resolved to let Him help me, and from then on, my life improved.
And I learned one of the most important truths that any child of God could learn. I was special. He loved ME. He needed ME. My life was important to Him. He cared enough about me to be concerned with my emotional struggles and to take them from me once I gave them to Him. He was there to help. Always. He waited patiently for me to drop my pride and open my heart to Him. He didn’t punish me and He never stopped loving me. And eventually, when I realized that the King of Kings was offering His limitless power to help me, I began to understand the mercy of Jesus Christ.
            I know that He lives. I know that He loves me. And I know that He loves you. He cares about YOU. He knows your situation. He knows your emotional, physical, and mental struggles, and He knows how to fix them. You are special to Him. Always. His love for you will never cease, never fade, and never disappoint. If you are feeling unloved, unneeded, not special, alone, or out of balance, go to Him and ask for His help. He will never turn you away, and He will always help you make things better.  You are not alone. Pray to the Father and feel the love and Atonement of the Son.

            I love Him. He loves me. I know that both of these things are true, and I declare them boldly, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

- RBH


Note: The postings from "The 25 Days of Christ" are thoughts shared by guest posters and may not directly reflect the perspective of the blog's main author, Cocoshirley. Any pictures added have been added by Cocoshirley and not by the guest author.


No comments: