Friday, April 04, 2014

My Favorite Weekend of The Year...and Why



This weekend is my favorite weekend of the whole year.

The first weekend of April and the first weekend of October is a special weekend in the Mormon world. We have a worldwide meeting where the prophet, apostles, and other general leaders in the church address us. The meeting is broadcast in 90+ languages in 197 different countries.

Because we believe that the prophet is God's mouthpiece, this weekend is full of receiving God's words and will for us RIGHT NOW. It is such an uplifting, invigorating, peaceful, and tender experience for me.

For a quick explanation, you can look here.



For my explanation, you can read here:

I am currently reading the Old Testament, and I am so engrossed in the way that the children of Israel treat the Lord's word as they receive it through his prophets. I am impressed by how much God loves them to keep giving them another chance again and again. They were part of His church, though, and so of course they received direct guidance from Him through His mouthpiece.

When I have read through Acts in the New Testament, I have felt such empathy for the twelve apostles that Christ left to continue to establish and guide His church. They were just men, but they were given divine guidance and direction to do the Lord's work. The people at this time that were a part of His church continued to get direction from The Lord through them.

As "Mormons" or members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. We believe He is not only not dead but that He still speaks. I know that God is a loving Heavenly Father and He does not intend to leave His children wandering. Just as He has since the beginning of time, I believe He directs us through prophets and apostles today.

That is why this weekend is so important to me. Think of the excitement and preparation you would feel if The Lord were coming to hold a meeting to give you specific direction for THIS day and time. The prophet and apostles, like those of the past, are just men. They have weaknesses; they make mistakes (just as those of the past). These men though are given divine guidance and direction, and we are given the opportunity to listen to those words every 6 months (at least).

That is my simple explanation for why this week is my favorite of the year. I cry every time it ends. It is a time of spiritual uplifting for me.

If you are curious, you can check it out here.
There are meetings both Saturday & Sunday at 10am & 2pm MDT. The prophet will be speaking on Sunday at the 10am meeting.



If you couldn't read all of that ^ then just check out this simple 1 minute explanation/sneak peak here:




We are planning on watching at our local chapel with the one other couple there--a pair of cute white haired 80 year olds. I can't wait to listen, feel, write, and talk about it all later with RBH over some good food.

Here's to my favorite weekend. I hope Monday never comes! ;)


PS - if you feel confused or awkward about my explanation or e-vite to watch along with me, www.normans.com has got you covered with their explanation at TED Talks With a Twist--Why You Shouldn't Be Scared of Mormon General Conference. They're pretty much right...it is just like TED talks given by all Mormons ;) haha

1 comment:

DTA said...

Love this post Court!