Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Man Down The Hall

Today is my dad's birthday. We were just with him last week, and I got to talk to him about what he wanted as a gift. He gave one of his typical answers (normally it is "for all my children to be happy" or "for a hug" or something like that.) His response this time was, "I just want a poem."
Well, Dad, don't mind if I do...





The Man Down The Hall
By Coco

Every day of my life,
there was something new:
a different concern,
something stressful to do.
I would take down my worry from off of the wall,
stuff it into my backpack, and walk out to the hall.
And every day I came across a most peculiar sight:
a man sitting down, studying, with all of his might.
his ankle was crossed, so it sat on his knee
where he’d balance his book, while he looked up at me.
“Good morning dear daughter! You are just awesome”
then he’d set down his scriptures, and his arms? He would cross ‘em.
As I turned down the stairs, my eyes daily would stray
to that man down the hall, beginning to pray.
And that is how it was day after day,
right before he would work and I would go play.
How much work that he did, I hadn’t a clue.
After all, I had learned, that’s just what dads do.

As time went on, my life’s chaos did grow
along with worry, concern, and a yearning to know.
Every path seemed to be laid with a hundred decisions:
friends, morals, career, marriage, college, and missions.
No answers would be in the books on my shelf.
How would I do this all by myself?
I would look down the hall and there the answer would sit,
with his glasses hung low and his sweater of knit.
So I’d open my heart and my scriptures too,
as I had seen the man down the hall do.
And because of his constant presence and care,
I realized He too must always be there.
So I talked to Him more, and He helped me to see
that I wasn’t alone; He was always with me.
And I realized that He must love me too.
After all, I had learned, that’s just what dads do.

When I wanted to know just who I should be,
I looked up to Him hoping He would listen to me.
I was sure that He was, so I prayed more determined to know.
Because I’d spent years of him listening and helping me grow.
Sometimes it hurt, picking out all my thoughts and my worry
to sew them together and wrap them around me.
And I wondered how much was the worth of a soul.
Not just any old specimen but my very own.
But I never got far in this bleak train of thought
because my divine nature was something I had been taught
by that dear constant man that lived down the hall,
who daily gave everything, so he could give me it all.
I never could doubt there was a God and a Plan
because of the way that he lived, that down-the-hall man.
And I realized that He wants me to have it all too.
After all, I had learned, that’s just what dads do.





Happy Birthday, Dad. I love you very much.



6 comments:

Lisa and Doug said...

There were a plethora of tears rolling down both our cheeks as Dad TRIED to read this poem aloud.

DTA said...

Thank you Courtney! I am so happy to know how you feel! No greater joy for me than to know I have led you to greater faith in our Heavenly Father. All my love. Dad

margo said...

Oh My. Beautiful. Word. That poem is amazing Court. It should be published. Seriously. You need to send that in to the Church Magazines. Seriously. And I'm related to you!

D said...

LOVE THIS

Kage said...

soooooooo gooooood.

dixiehatch@gmail.com said...

What a beautiful tribute Courtney. Thank you Courtney, I felt a moment of peace in my heart as I read your poem. Thanks