Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Books Reviews: The First 17 of 2014

One of my New Years Resolutions is to read at least 40 books this year. I did a blog post at the end of the year about my 10 favorite books from 2013, and I got some good feedback! So I thought that I would post book reviews more regularly.

This post is TOO LONG. So I think I'll start posting after I complete one book ;)

Books I'm reading this year have been chosen for 1 of 4 reasons:
1. I never finished this book or I skim read it for class and it needs another go around.
2. It will help me for teaching in the Fall
3. Someone I love suggested it, and I want to talk about it with them.
4. A selfish pick just for my little heart and desires.


So here are my reviews of the first 17 books I've read this year...





I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai (and Christina Lamb)
Published 2013


LOVED IT. There has been some criticism about political agendas behind this book, but after reading it, I say reading through the criticism is a waste. of. time. GUYS. Malala Yousafzai started blogging about female education rights at AGE ELEVEN. Of course she is influenced by other people and of course US politics are getting involved in promoting this. But man the courage of this girl blew me away. She was shot at AGE FIFTEEN by the Taliban, lived to tell the tale, and is not keeping her mouth shut. She is now just 16 years old. I couldn't even have eye contact with adults at age 16, and she is speaking at the UN and telling Obama her opinion in his office. I loved this book. I am INTO education, and I felt so many emotions while reading. I was so moved by reading about world/war events that affected me in my growing up from the perspective of a Pakistani girl. (Although I do know that she does not represent the perspective of all Pakistani girls and in fact that many of those perspectives would be quite different. While focusing on not making Malala's The Single Story, I still felt my outlook improved and expanded through her story). I felt so much gratitude for the privileges that were sustained for me during that time - security, education, innocence - that she didn't get to experience. Most of all, I was touched by how similar we all are as humans and children of God. This is a girl with a completely different life on the other side of the world and coin and I felt with her. I couldn't stop talking to RBH about Malala like we were best friends haha. I like her. Anyway, Read it!
5 stars


Animal Farm by George Orwell
Published 1945


Ready for this? I had never actually read Animal Farm all the way through. I KNOW. I was never assigned it in school (yes that means middle school, high school, and getting a college degree in English). I had to reference it for papers about other books and understand references about it in other writings so that is all I did. I skimmed it, knew the story, looked at pigs with mistrust, I just never actually read it word for word and page for page. So I am trying to have more integrity in my reading lately and going back and reading things that I know but haven't read all the way (ask an English major and there are A LOT of these you cram into a semester...although there is no excuse for ANIMAL FARM haha kidding me??) Anyway, guys, George Orwell. You know? He just...yes. It's all yes. Everybody has read this or knows it...but if you haven't actually read it page for page do so NOW. And then lets all start praying that Andy Serkis really does begin to start filming for it.
4 stars

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Published 1985


The movie came to the dollar theater, RBH had already read it, and so I knew that I needed to. I'm one of those people that "thinks I'm kind of cool with sci-fi" because I loved Star Wars as a kid, War of the Worlds, The Twilight Zone, and I can get down with dystopia. But then I realized I'm not really that into sci-fi haha. I recently found out there is a difference between hard sci-fi and soft sci-fi and I TOTALLY do the soft sci-fi thing. I feel better with a label to point to. Is it weird this book kept reminding me of The Chocolate War? haha just with the whole boys being more violent and manipulative than they should be sort of thing? Anyway, I really enjoyed reading it. I felt like I wasn't at the love level, though,  because I felt no incentive to move on and keep reading the series. (Don't even look up the rest of the series unless you're feeling well-rested. There are approximately 457 novels/shortstories/comics in 567 universes that I cant figure out). One book was awesome, enjoyable, and enough. So, I guess that is how I realized I am "just enough" into sci-fi.
4 stars


Anthem by Ayn Rand
Published 1938

I have avoided Ayn Rand because I felt like there was a snotty group of English majors at USU that would always say, "oh my gosh The Fountainhead changed my life. I just can't believe there are people in this world that haven't read it." So I pretty much decided I would be anti-AynRand just to spite them haha. Which is funny to me because I feel like Ayn Rand's work is more of a philosophical achievement than a literary achievement (and you guys also claim to be hipsters and democrats? this aint adding up for me) but WHATEV, snotty EMs, whatev. RBH told me to just get my feet wet with Anthem, and I ended up reading it in one sitting. It was engaging--I feel like it is really easy to lose yourself in all dystopian based novels. That is why they are so sugary to us, I think. My brain, honestly, was more engaged in thinking about what Rand's experiences must have been in Russia in order for her mind to conceive this world than it was in exploring her philosophy. All in all, I'm glad I read it. It really did make me think, and I do believe that Ayn Rand has important things to say (although I don't inhale all of it). I will probably read something of hers again. I mean, my dad's band as a youngster was called We The Living (what was that about, Dad?), so I guess I am sort of obligated :) haha
4 stars


Quick side-note: Guys. I'M STILL DYING over this. Everybody needs to go look at this list...at the bottom of the page where it says "Reader's list [of the top 10] 20th Century Great Novels." I. am. dying. 7/10 are either Ayn Rand or L. Ron Hubbard hahahah IM DYING. Who was surveyed for this? I seriously can't stop laughing. At least they got that one common person off the street that was all "TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD!"



Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Published 1969


I really geared myself up to like this one...but it just didn't really happen. I felt like I was watching an author work too hard to use symbols, imagery and motifs in order to project a really important unsettling message. That is just it, though, I didn't feel like I was exposed to the message, but rather watched as he worked to construct it. Does that make sense? I wasn't hit with anything. I felt like the whole time I kept telling myself, "I know why you are putting this scene in, but I'm not going to feel what you want me to feel because I know your motivation." I'm not sure if that was just because of my mood or what. I just felt like I was talking to an older condescending gentleman I met at a mutual friend's house that gave me the ol' "you are an idiot for having youthful hope--let me tell you what an ugly place this world really is" speech. That being said, I know why people love it. I just didn't. Sorry!
3 stars

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Published 1998



Okay. This is a hard one for me. This book has been recommended to me so many times over so many years by people I love. It is hard to read a book like that you know? It is like the first time I watched Zoolander, like a decade after it came out, and I had already heard all the quotes and my friends would warn me to really pay attention because a funny part was coming. It just didn't feel like I experienced it on my own, and I certainly couldn't make it mine. I did really like it, though. This novel, I guess, is an example of how books really can mean something different for each individual. After I finished, I had to talk it out with RBH for about an hour. I have heard so many talk about how this book gave them a spiritual experience or influenced their faith. I've even heard it used in church lessons. It just didn't do any of that for me. Like not even a lick. Because I had gone into this book expecting that and then not experiencing it, it landed flat on me. If I had had zero expectations, I would've ended with a wonderful reflection. For me this book was very critical, historical, and had great voice, and that's what I liked about it. I was entranced by how wonderfully Kingsolver wrote from 4 very different character's perspectives (this is everything that Veronica Roth tried and failed at, btw), and I loved how those perspectives reflected the political tensions of that time in history. I appreciated that Kingsolver didn't attempt to give a Congolese perspective on all of the complicated events, emotions, and issues of the time, but instead gave an American perspective shaded by a Congolese environment. The setting of The Congo and its history were so engrossing, but I didn't feel like my faith was strengthened--just criticized. Anyway, good, not great, read.
3 stars

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Published 1937


This is another one that I had to shallow speed mode for class, so I felt I under-appreciated it. This time through, I sucked all the marrow out of it. Man, is it good. This thing is just so meaty. The characters smell like burlap, and the plot tastes like sawdust...in a good way. It is everything a novel should be, and it amazes me how it is accomplished in such a short series of pages. Such a great commentary on society, the time period, nature of man, etc through the use of authentic characters. How awesome it would be to see this thing on Broadway right now. Check out the awesome preview here.
5 stars

Classroom Assessment by W. James Popham
New Edition Published 2013


I'm including the books I read for education because, well, I read them haha, and somebody might profit from that ;). I really enjoyed this book, actually. I especially liked the dialogue it had on the pros, cons, and gray areas of nationwide and statewide testing. It talked a lot about having appropriate relationships with assessment and how to use it as a vehicle as opposed to an end. I suggest sections of it, really, to any teacher, homeschooler, or parent that wants to understand what all their child's testing means.
4 stars


Diversity Pedagogy by Rosa Hernandez Sheets
Published 2004



Another education book. Mehhhhh. Meh. Meh. If this had been the first book that I read about diversity pedagogy, I probably would've liked it a lot more. Maybe I just felt beaten over the head with it, but I just felt like it was information regurgitated. It does a good job about introducing diversity pedagogy in practical scenarios that make clear sense. If you read one book on pedagogy, though, I would make it by Freire--despite it being more difficult.
3 stars

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Published 1932




LOVED IT. Have you ever read a book that just becomes a part of your world and perspective? It doesn't leave you but instead comes back to your mind over and over till it feels like it belongs to you? That happened to me with this book. (I guess this is where I am a little into soft sci-fi hahah). This is THE archetype of dystopian literature, and like most originals, it does it best. It completely blew my mind how I felt Huxley made such a haunting satire of society in 2014 when he wrote this novel in 1932. I, honestly, was more entranced by the first half of the book than anything else. This voiced so many thoughts, criticisms, and fears I have had. Aldous Huxley brilliantly warns us about the worship of science, technology, big government, replacing religion & discipline, not facing truth/reality, drug use, flighty sex, etc. Gah. I just loved it. (Sidenote: there is discussion of sex in this book, but not in the same over-sexualized glorifying way that current society/media does that I find highly offensive. I know some people that read here wouldn't love that, so I'm just giving a heads up). Anyway, this book is a stinking masterpiece. If you are a dystopia lover...this is where it all began, guys. The refreshing thing is, though, it makes a significant commentary on societal issues, whereas most dystopian novels lately do not. Basically, if you liked 1984, you will like this.
5 stars


Your Endowment by Mark A. Shields
Published 2009


The only religious/church book so far. I wish I had read this when I was still teaching Temple Prep. It has great summaries of key points at the end of each chapter that would have helped me keep things simpler and more organized in class. The first part of the book was more interesting to me than the last part. I also was grateful for the bibliography and the list of articles that he pulled from--future study! heyo. It's a great resource. The more well-known temple books like The Holy Temple, House of Glory, Temple Worship, etc will do the same thing for you...just not with as much simplicity, organization, and application. 100% recommended for those that want to get more out of their temple service. Enjoy :)
4 stars


What is Marriage?: Man and Woman: A Defense by Sherif Girgis, Robert P. George, and Ryan T. Anderson
Published 2012



SO GOOD. This was the other book that has been my favorite so far this year. Guys. Everybody needs to read this. It is so dense that it makes it hard to review/summarize. Here is a quote from the book to explain:

"We do not address the morality of homosexual acts or their heterosexual counterparts. We will show that one can defend the conjugal view of marriage while bracketing this moral question and that the conjugal view can be wholeheartedly embraced without denigrating same-sex attracted people or ignoring their needs. Again, this is fundamentally a debate about what marriage is, not about homosexuality...This debate is not about whom to let marry, but about what marriage is."

Anybody who has any interest in this issue would find value in this book. It steers clear of any moral or religious debate, but rather, simply speaks about what marriage is and the effect that the definition of marriage (or changing that definition) has (or would have) on society.

Some might have seen when I posted this video to my facebook about the definition of marriage and the welfare of children. Well, the man that speaks is one of the authors of this book. It speaks from an academic, societal perspective, and I really appreciated that.
Seriously. Everybody needs to read this.
5 stars


The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
Published 2013




My mama gifted this book to me for my birthday. She had it recommended to her through a pretty great story. I agree with John Warner, who recommended this to her, that it is a solid, emotional story. I definitely felt entranced by the plot and characters. I kept saying to RBH "want to hear about the crazy people I'm reading about" haha. The characters pull you in. I felt very satisfied after reading this, like I had just sat down on my front porch with a big glass of lemonade after a long journey. ...I still feel like if I traveled over to Australia, I could go check in with these characters to see how their life has progressed. It was an entertaining, engaging read. Great pick for summer reading.
4 stars


I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
Published 1969


I have used this book in a lot of lesson plans and vehicles for comparative essays haha. I thought I should finally read it all the way through. Maya Angelou has got a gift--she pours her warm maple syrup descriptions over your brain and then points out that you forgot to zip up your fly. There is so much coziness in the way she writes, but then she slams you with an image, experience, word that makes you feel so uncomfortably out of place. In that way, I think she did her job very well. In this autobiography of Angelou's life, you get to experience the beautiful and the difficult memories whether you like it or not. I'll be honest--the rape chapter is still hard for me to approach. I had to skip some of it, but I guess that is the point. ANYWAY. It wasn't one of my favorites, but I am still glad I read it.
3 stars

My Antonia by Willa Cather
Published 1918




This book was the first one that RBH and I read at the same time. Suggestion: if you and your sig. other both read? Read a book at the same time. It is great. Anyway this is another one I LOVED. I am all about influential females, epic masterpiece novels, and settling the West. I'm so glad RBH chose it. If you dig novels that highlight connections to our past, nature, the frontier, immigration, and my favorite part--highlighting a life from childhood all the way to adulthood--then pick up this baby. It felt authentic; it really felt like reading an actual person's journal/history from that time period. I'm officially a fan. Also, found this song by Emmylou Harris and Dave Matthews titled My Antonia--check it out!
4 stars


Old Testament Student Manual Part 1


Just kidding, there is also this church book :) haha. I'm also including it because I read the whole stinkin thing and it is long so it has to count as a book read this year! haha. I mean, you already know what I am going to say. INDISPENSABLE. It has kept me focused. It has increased the depth of my reading. And of course, it has totally slowed me down hahaha. WORTH IT. It has so many references, suggested reading, and assignments you could literally get eaten by this thing. All of that makes it possible, though, for you to basically give yourself your own institute class. It is an essential part of my every day. DO IT! :) The Old Testament can/will change your life, friend.
5 stars


Age of Innocence
 by Edith Wharton

Published 1920

Oh oh I am back to Edith Wharton; I thought I should read the book that made her to the first woman to win the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. It did not disappoint. The book takes place in the 1870s If you like the irony/criticism of The Importance of Being Earnest, I bet you would like this book. They are similar in that they are really criticisms of the facade that the upperclass members of society go through great lengths to maintain. Importance of Being Earnest, of course is criticizing British society in the 1890s, unlike Age of Innocence which focuses on society in New York in the 1870s. Also, IoBE is HILARIOUS and AoI is very...NOT haha (Wharton doesn't like the fluff and cushy, remember?) There is a certain Persuasion (by Jane Austen) feel about it as well--the whole dramatic irony of knowing what is really going on in that room of perfectly composed upper class citizens. I also couldn't help but compare Ellen Olenska to Stargirl (by Jerry Spinelli) in some ways. Is that a stretch? Maybe. (I just googled Ellen Olenska and Stargirl to see if anybody else has made that comparison and got NUTHIN. So maybe just me haha) The best part about The Age of Innocence is that it thrives in its subtlety. A wonderful classic, right here. READ IT.
5 stars


4 comments:

Cami said...

OK you have inspired me to read more books. Good job.

Anonymous said...

This computer is signed into dad and I am too lazy to through the hoops to change it to me so this "anonymous" is your dear Mama! I loved reading these reviews and ratings. You have some of my favorite books on your list. I have not read "Of Mice and Men" since high school and I am sure while reading it my mind was wandering towards cheerleading and other important things. I am definitely going to reread it this summer. Thank you for reminding me of its wonder! Here's to "The Count of Monte Cristo" too!

DTA said...

Thanks for these great reviews! I am particularly impressed by your Church book readings and reviews!

D said...

Man o man I loved hearing about the dystopian stuff that you have read this year. I have read so much of the same stuff and I really, really, really liked it all. I think I've read Animal Farm and 1984 several times each and now I want to back and re-read Brave New World and some of the others again and again.

I think I will publish my books of the year as a recurring segment as well, instead of all at once at the end of the year. It's more fun that way.

Watch for it in on a blog near you.