Wednesday, May 12, 2010

How To: take a public nap

Fav thing about Cache Valley = the safety and trust here. I have never before felt comfortable enough to take a nap in public - with the exception of an airplane or something. At Utah State, though, public naps are a very common occurrence.

Last year, when I lived on campus, I thought it was humorous to see the groups of people taking naps in the library or student center.
This year, though, I learned the beauty of the public nap and although I hadn't planned on it, became a master in the art of public napping.

I have been caught a number of times by friends and therefore can share
some techniques you may want to consider when publicly napping...




this is what I like to call "The Lamp Shield" best used when in a well lit area.
also note the hoodie turned makeshift blanket technique

the seatbelt -> pillow technique comes in handy on long (or short) car trips

my favorite sleeping position is clearly the side fetal position. when there isnt sufficient space for a side fetal position - I simply move to a vertical fetal position. works great.

once you have mastered your techniques for every possible scenario - you may enjoy your peaceful slumber without being woken by outside sources

Some memorable experiences with public naps include:

1. sitting down to relax on the quad between classes one October afternoon and waking up 2 hours later sprawled out in the grass flat on my back and realizing that I had slept through 1.5 classes. Its even funnier that my classmates had to have walked by me in order to get to and from class - thanks for waking me up guys.

2. settling down on the RayB couch during my hour break in between class, falling asleep in the empty lounge, and waking up to almost my entire class sitting around me discussing homework. embarrassing much?

3. 2 weeks ago, when entering the institute lounge for my scheduled between class nap, I was shocked to find all the couches gone. Exhausted, I found an empty hallway and sat against the wall till class started. Of course, I fell asleep right on the ground of that hallway. Right by my classroom door. I think this might be my proudest public napping moment.

Napping publicly is so much better than in private mainly because 1. others envy your slumber 2. you can brighten the days of others passing by - a sort of "Im glad to see somebody else is as tired as I am" moment 3. its all about convenience 4. when you wake up - you have no choice but to get out of that sleepy nap zone because you are surrounded by people. But as you can see, sometimes mastery of an art can turn into a problem. My body now knows no limits to its napping environment, space, time, temp, etc.

Good luck, fellow nappers. Nap on.

11 comments:

Lisa and Doug said...

I laughed out loud reading this post! My favorite pic is the one of you and O!

Chess said...

I am the queen of napping. My roommates wanted to reassign my Disney princess and give me Sleeping Beauty because I slept more than anybody. OH MY GOSH--I thought I was the only one to prop my head up with the seatbelt!!! Also, I LOL'd at the waking up in the middle of a hw rant at Ray B. But there is one place I will never, ever sleep, and that is the bathrooms in the TSC. Oh for gross, the sounds, the smells.....

Unknown said...

It truly is an art to be able to take a public nap. It takes much practice to get the right feel for it.
LOVE YOU!

Linz said...

ha ha ha ha!

You are quite masterful at this. Sleeping on the family room floor for hours on end with tons of activity going on around you comes to mind.

SamyoD said...

hahahah there is quite a race for the sleeping title in our family, myself included in this race, but I think we have to take it away from Lindsay and give it to you Court.

CocoShirley said...

after I wrote this post, I took a nap

Kevin Erik White said...

im napping while i write this comment

shelby mae said...

haha I don't know Chess but I see this one girl napping in the bathroom at the TSC every time I'm there for lunch and it grosses me out! I do love the occasional public nap though minus the blackmail photos and I will be using some of your techniques.

SamyoD said...

I just finally realized what you are talking about....there are couches in the women's bathroom at the TSC aren't there?? hahahaha

CocoShirley said...

hahah you got it. and often there are people on those couches.

Chess said...

I personally just would not be able to sleep to the sounds of people pooping and flushing the toilet. But that's just me. Hah.

Court, thanks for your last comment. That meant a lot to me. I also think you are delightfully addicting, which is why I get so excited when I occasionally see you on campus. Or at basketball games. Teehee!