Monday, September 20, 2010

An Ode to Mama


Happy Birthday, Mom



It is rare for me to find myself at a loss for words. Words and I? We're good friends. Hes got my back, Ive got his.
But when talking about my parents, I always feel like I can never find the words to adequately convey my love and my gratitude. The only other time I get this way is when talking about spiritual things. There is a lot of gravity to the emotions I feel regarding my parents.

My mom.
Are there words that could possibly weigh as much as the experiences, memories, sacrifices, love, respect, example, joy that envelops my mother - with a spirit that buzzes around her and hums in the ears of every one and every thing she passes.

I cant relate to these abstract words that are supposed to represent how much of my life, how much of me, is because of her.

If I had to chose one thing that I have learned from my mother, it would be love. It melts out of the woman's pores. I have witnessed my mother's entire life to be driven by love and empathy. She gives to her family and withholds nothing, she can empathize with anybody in any situation, and she loves the Lord and His gospel. The gratitude she feels towards Christ can be seen in everything she does.
She is my greatest example of womanhood.

Since I was little I have aspired to be the kind of mother, wife, friend, and disciple that she is. I remember being very young and sitting up at night praying and crying because I was so grateful that somehow the parents that I was allowed to be born to were my parents and feeling remorse because I didnt know how I could better tell them how grateful I was, and how much I loved them.

I still say that prayer often.

Thank you, Mom.

for the hours of listening (dont you love that your daughter is a talker?) that you still do for me. for all of the sacrifices and love. for all of our moments of 'cant get it together Im laughing so hard'. for being my mom. for being my friend.

I love you and I wish I could be with you today.







ps. my excitement for Christmas is right

between ouch and boing

3 comments:

Lisa and Doug said...

I'm a puddle.

Kage said...

Oh Mummzy-poo....Coco wrote it the best...

margo said...

that's beautiful court.