Friday, July 19, 2013

Scones

This morning, RBH and I headed over to the county offices to get our marriage license. We weren't that surprised to see two other couples getting their licenses at the same time, but we were surprised to see that the two other couples were dressed up in white dresses and suits. Both parties had flowers and people taking pictures of them. I felt so underdressed...
It got me kind of excited, seeing the other couples, and I spent several minutes telling RBH we should just get it done in the county office haha. I'm glad I found a man that has a consistently level head...

But the real story of the morning isn't about marriage; it's about bread. 

We got through the process way faster than we had anticipated and had some time to kill before my flight. Neither of us had eaten, so we decided to find some quick food before saying goodbye. 

RBH suggested that we avoid all types of fast food, wanting to avoid the greasy yucky feeling of processed America. We drove for a little bit, but we only seemed to find pricier sit down diners and greasy fast food.

We resolved on Subway. It was the best we could do. As we pulled into the Subway parking lot, I noticed the restaurant next door was called Sconecutters and I perked up in my seat yelling my changed opinion - "SCONECUTTERS?! YES LET'S GO HERE! PULL IN HERE!"

RBH gave me some "are you sure that's what you want?" and "you want this more than subway" statements, all while pulling into the recently designated lunch stop. I insisted that this was the perfect stop and I LOVE SCONES. He was sweet and followed me in. 

I was so confused. 

Nothing on this menu looked like scones. The only thing really "breakfasty" on the menu was a list of 3 breakfast sandwiches. We ordered 2 and made our way to a booth. 

When we were served, the waitress brought us this:


 


RBH insisted that what I was looking at was a scone sandwich. WHAT? No. This is like a donut sandwich. I corrected him telling him THIS is not ANYTHING like a scone. He countered with an affirmation of the legitimacy of said scone, and I challenged him. Our lively discussion continued, and I suggested we return the marriage license (haha PSYCHE have you seen this adorable man?) and ended with me googling "pictures of scones" 

THESE ARE SCONES! 
"No, those are biscuits"
"I swear these are scones"
"Ask anybody this side of the Mississippi what a scone is" 
"People this side of the Mississippi are CRAZY"

I scrolled down to suggested searches and saw a popular search named "Utah scones" 

I googled. This is what came up:

WHAT?! I feel like I just found out the L in staples is a staple all over again. How is it that for 3 years I have missed this huge cultural difference?

I was SO embarrassed. After talking up in the car about how we didn't want anything greasy or fast food-like, I insist that we go get "Utah scones". Poor RBH just went along to make me happy haha he must've thought I was nuts. 

I had no idea that Utah made their own versions of scones. And that they kind of resemble donuts/funnelcakes/Idunnowhat. Mind. Blown. 

I called my mom later and told her the story - she told me that the OPPOSITE realization happened to her when she moved to the east coast. 

I love that RBH and I are from completely opposite places. We have so many funny culture clash moments. I love how often we give each other the "where the heck did YOU come from" look. It's going to keep being great as long as he knows - our kids will be eating real scones haha. 

Am I the only one who didn't know about the scone thing?

1 comment:

D said...

Funny. In my experience, homemade scones have always been fried in oil and served with honey-butter à la Utah; however, the scones I buy in the shop near my office are always the baked kind à la Chicago. The funny thing is that I never noticed this massive discrepancy. My thanks to you and RBH for rooting this issue out.