Monday, July 22, 2013

Perspective and Truth

Story #1: 
The other day I was small talking with a saleswoman about some of the changes that are happening in my life. My dad chimed in from behind me and informed the woman that I was soon-to-be married.

The woman's eyes got big as she leaned back from me and said, "You're getting married?!? But you are just a baby!!!! You're getting married and you are just what? 19?"

"I'm 23 actually," I replied.

She dismissed my correction saying, "Okay still. You are just a little baby to be getting married!"

I shrugged in response; I've heard my fair share of that comment.


I began to smile, as I recalled a conversation I had previously had with another stranger earlier this summer...

Story #2:
Mom, Dad, RBH and I were visiting Nauvoo a couple months ago when RBH proposed to me. The day after our engagement became official, we visited several sites in Nauvoo that were filled with older couples giving tours. At one of the houses, a woman asked us why we were on our trip. Again, my dad was the one to announce that the previous day, RBH and I had gotten engaged. This woman was all a flutter at the excitement of our relationship.

As the tour went on, this woman began to tell a story about an early pioneer, mentioning that when this pioneer was married, she was just 19 years old.
She turned to me, hoping to make a connection to the story, and asked, "now how old are you?" (Clearly expecting me to say 19).

"I'm 23 actually," I replied.

She looked surprised and a little embarrassed for me as she said, "Oh...an older bride..."

 I shrugged in response; I've heard my fair share of that comment.


What all this means:  
Now I know these two little stories are funny and not very significant, but they really illustrated how different the opinions of the world can be. Don't misunderstand me - I'm labeling both of those stories as opinions of the world. 

When looking at these stories next to each other, isn't it just laughable that we would ever determine our truth by the opinions of others? How destructive it would be if I started basing my thinking (and self approval) off of the opinions and perspectives of the world.

But don't we do it all the time?

The juxtaposition of these two experiences is so humorous to me. As a younger girl, (probably when I was 19 actually) I might have taken either (or both) of these comments to heart. I could have chosen to be a little offended or embarrassed by both of these statements (for 2 completely opposite reasons). But I didn't.

Why?

When we know truth, opinion becomes trivial.

Because I have spent time on my knees in prayer with my Heavenly Father (and, honestly, doing a lot of other things to receive an answer from Him) I know what He thinks of me and my decisions right now. I try to maintain an understanding of what He thinks of me and my decisions at all times.
I know the truth of who I am, what my circumstances and blessings are, and how that fits in with the Lord's expectations for me. That is my foundation, so opinion will not move me.

We can and should feel that way about all of our decisions.

If I can say at any given time in my life that I know that Heavenly Father is happy with me and what I am doing, there is no reason to search for approval anywhere else. It is extremely liberating. The great irony is, by being obedient, we free ourselves. We free ourselves from searching desperately for satisfaction and validation in places that will never quite satisfy our needs. It also gives us the key to receiving truth - the Spirit.

"Obedience opens the door to the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. And the spiritual gifts and abilities activated by the power of the Holy Ghost enable us to avoid deception—and to see, to feel, to know, to understand, and to remember things as they really are." - Elder Bednar (Things as They Really Are)

Working to have the Spirit with you at all times is so integral because we know that
"the Spirit speaketh truth and lieth not. Wherefore, it speaketh of things as they really are, and of things as they really will be" (Jacob 4:13)

Want more truth? Work for the Spirit.

When we receive a burning of the truth through the spirit, we won't be tempted to be "tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine" (Ephesians 4:14) or with any opinion or facebook status we read. Instead we will be able to stand firm on our sure foundation, unmoved by the storms and whirlwinds of changing opinion that the world or Satan throw at us (Helaman 5:12). 

"one of [Satan's] most potent tactics is to beguile you and me, as embodied spirits, to disconnect gradually and physically from things as they really are."- Elder Bednar

Clearly neither of these women in the story are reflecting who I really am. Because I had previously come to a knowledge of who I am, their comments were funny as opposed to detrimental.

I guess what I'm trying to say with all this is
real truth is found by getting down on your knees.  


"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" - John 8:32

7 comments:

dixie said...

Well said. Thank you Courtney. I am more and more thankful everyday for you. CSA+RBH=Awesomeness!!

Bluebird & Company said...

great insight Courtney! I agree....I was "only" 18 when I was married and I really, really had to get on my knees a lot when others voiced their opinions on age. I am so glad I felt so solid on my decision to marry.... that I had such a strong answer to do so. I had confidence in being obedient... oh, and I also WANTED to :-) ... so that helped too! :-) haha.

Bluebird & Company said...

great insight Courtney! I agree....I was "only" 18 when I was married and I really, really had to get on my knees a lot when others voiced their opinions on age. I am so glad I felt so solid on my decision to marry.... that I had such a strong answer to do so. I had confidence in being obedient... oh, and I also WANTED to :-) ... so that helped too! :-) haha.

Unknown said...

What a great reminder! This world is full of constant distractions and we all need to stop and think about where real truth comes from more often. Thanks Courtney!

DTA said...

Thank you Courtney. You have articulated an important fundamental.

I really laughed when I read the beginning--

All my love to you. Thanks again.

Dad

VH said...

Save this for when you are speaking at the General YW meeting, cuz it's good stuff.

echo said...

yeah, i agree with VH's comment.
i am so happy that you will be marrying into the family. i can't wait to get to know you better.